I made these scones this morning! By far the BEST scone recipe I have made. I adapted it from a recipe from Zuni Cafe. If you visit The City by the Bay, make sure you go to Zuni Cafe!
Happy Cooking and Enjoy!
3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour ( I use King Arthur Flour)
4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 pound butter (2 sticks) cold salted butter cut into small pieces
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 Tablespoon finely grated orange zest
1/2 cup 2% cold milk
1 Tablespoon orange juice
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 jelly roll pans with parchment paper or Silpats (I use Silpats and LOVE them). 2. Stir together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Mix well.
3. Cut in the butter using a pastry blender or 2 forks until the butter is the size of small peas.
4. Add dried cranberries and orange zest and toss well.
5. Whisk together the egg, milk, and orange juice. Stir this into the dry ingredients, and GENTLY mix until the dough comes together and everything is well moistened.
6. Divide the dough in half and form each half into a ball. On a lightly floured work surface, pat each ball into a flat 7 inch circle. Roll out each circle until it is 3/4 inch thick. With pizza cutter, cut each round into 8 wedges.
7. Arrange the wedges in the parchment paper or Silpat lined pans without crowding(this is really important as these rise really well and they will end up touching and not toast on the edges). Sprinkle each scone with Turbinado sugar and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown and firm to the touch.